Friday, May 2, 2008

Bank of America is Sneaky!

UPDATED: May 6, 2008 Updated material at the bottom.

Breathe in, breathe out. I was so mad this morning but I have calmed down considerably. I went to pay my credit card bill before heading off to work. Bank of America SUCKS! I was paying my bill 6 days early. Online. Apparently they decided to change my due date. After a year or more of the same due date, they changed it. Oh yes, there it was in teeny tiny print on my recent statement, Your due date has changed. So now instead of being 6 days early, I'm two days late. And charged a late fee too, of course. I did a little looking around online and apparently other people are being hit with this too. Apparently, since I was close to paying off the balance, which I was doing with this payment, Bank of America worried that they would no longer make any money off of me, so they moved the date, knowing that I would assume the date was the same, and then be able to charge me a late fee. Oh and raise my interest rate. I'm so very, very angry. So very, very angry. Whatever, they're a big mean company that wants to screw you for every dollar they can, but then it makes me look bad, my credit rating look bad, for me to have a late payment. I'm so so so angry. I was crying this morning because I was so furious! I was stuck leaving for work without having a chance to call them so now I'll have to get all worked up about it to them again in a couple of hours. I am so so so angry. How can that not be illegal? It's not, I looked around. It's just mean. I hate them.

UPDATE: May 6, 2008
Okay. I was very angry but things are fine now. I have to be sure to let you know that, while it was sneaky to move up my date, Bank of America was very helpful in rectifying the situation. I called them and was very calm from the start, something I've read in numerous negotiating articles. I stated the problem and how I'd like it fixed. He did it. No argument or anything. He refunded the late fee and said that the interest rate had not been affected. I paid the balance at that point too and he waived the fee for that. Yes, apparently now there's a fee if you pay them over the phone, it's to encourage people to use the website. I wanted to pay right then while I was on the phone because I was never trying to get out of paying, I just didn't know the date had been changed. That's all. It will stay at that earlier date but now that I know, it's not a problem. So, all appears to be well. I will concede that they were quick to help me. I will also warn you to check your statement every month to make sure your date hasn't moved up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bastards.

On the up-side, I read something in the paper the other day that someone important, like maybe the people at the Federal Reserve or something, voted to take a harsh stance against such devious practices in the credit industry. So, maybe it will get better?

*hug*
Eglentyne