Thursday, May 8, 2008

In Favor of Mothers

I'm tired and I feel lousy. I have work to do. Real work. Forget that. I gave up yesterday to the man and most of today. I've got a blog to write gosh darn it.

Mother's Day is coming up. Do you know the house had a vote yesterday in favor of mother's day? They voted "Celebrating the role of mothers in the United States and supporting the goals and ideals of Mothers Day." Ridiculous. Not that mother's day in itself is ridiculous, voting on it is. Someone proposed it as a roll call vote in order to waste time and possibly miss voting on a bill to fund the war. Of course, no one voted against it. Who wants that on their record the next election - "And he hates mother's day! Hates mothers I tell you!" Tax dollars at work I tell ya.

I could make me angry but instead it makes me laugh. We have a very convoluted system of government, strange laws, that whole filibuster with phone book is silly too. But, I am a person of rules. And if the rules say you can do that, then you can do that. If the rules say you can waste time to avoid getting to something you don't want to do, then you're allowed to. (I watched tv last night to avoid dishes, nobody voted me out of my house.) If it's a valid way, within the rules, to speak your mind is by avoiding a vote, thereby saying you don't agree with a bill, then fine. If I don't like it, I can work to get a new rule in there that changes it. That's how it works. If you really care that much about it, then get them to change the rules.

On a related note, that cell phone commercial where the firefighters are voting for stuff using their cell phone that instantly talks to each other really bugs me. The guy makes the comment that this is easy (right easy to use the phone, easy to get things done, right, right.) Yeah, passing laws is easy when everyone in the room agrees with each other. Who would need government at all if we all agreed with each other? Our government provides us procedures to work out the best way to care and provide for our citizens while taking into account varying ideas of what best means. Why does this commercial vex me so? It's just a commercial. Maybe I should do more dishes and less watching of tv.

1 comment:

eglentyne said...

*smooch*

http://alertthepizza.blogspot.com/2008/05/mothers-day-part-2-make-it-meaningful.html