Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Going Up In Smoke

I tried to smudge my house this weekend. Sure I decided there was no way that it would ever be clean so I just made it more messy with smudges. No, not really. I used a sage stick and smudged my house to clear out the energy.

It's a pretty interesting idea. Burning the sage creates negative ions. Your aura, and the auras of others, create positive ions which get left all over you, your house and your stuff. By burning the sage, the negative ions and positive ions cancel out thereby cleaning out the energy.

I had been meaning to do this for a long time and my big plan was always to clean the house from top to bottom, clear out clutter and really renovate the space. Then burn sage to kind of start fresh. Well. I'm never going to clean my house from top to bottom at once. I'm pretty resigned to living with clutter as I live with one husband and three dogs in a small one bedroom apartment. So, I figured that I might as well do the sage burn and maybe that would clear the energy enough to inspire me to do the other stuff. Hey, see how that could work?

So we bought the sage from a metaphysical bookstore on Melrose and let it sit on the kitchen table for 3 weeks. It probably wasn't even good anymore after soaking in the negative clutter energy in the house. Still, this weekend we went around the whole house and smudged it. It was a really good thing for us to do, too. I don't realize how many of the things in our house are used. We have furniture and knickknacks from relatives who have passed. We have prints that I picked up at yard sales, a chair from a friend. I'm a firm believer in reusing items instead of tossing them in a landfill. And I do make trips to Goodwill with items we no longer use for them to find a more useful home. But the things that we own used to be owned by someone else it they carry their energy. Hopefully by smudging them, we'll clear them and let them start fresh.

We'll see how long it lasts but I do have to say that I feel lighter in the house. I felt it from the moment I started. But I get the feeling that, since it's only the first time we've done it, we'll need to do it many more times before it 'sticks.'

No comments: