Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Protocol

I have a hard time knowing when to quit. When I'm in an email thread with someone, it's difficult for me not to have the last word. It's not because I feel bossy, it's because I think I'm still supposed to say something. I just can't tell when the conversation is over. It's like I can't tell if they've hung up. I'm so worried that I'm supposed still say something else, even though it looks like we're done talking. I just can't figure it out.

I had a similar problem when I prayed. I wasn't sure that I was done. Here's how I solved it, the sign of the cross. Basically, that is me dialing a telephone. And after all of my prayers are done, I make the sign of the cross again, thereby hanging up the phone. I mean, really, does God want to listen to me go over tomorrow's to do list in my head? Because that's one of the many boring things that might run through my mind later after praying. I have some funny belief that by 'hanging up the phone' now he can't hear me. So if I think some mean thought about someone he didn't hear that either. Right.

And yet I'm constantly praying for green lights when I'm late to work without making a sign of the cross first. Is that an IM to God then?

No comments: