Monday, May 5, 2008

God Took Out My Internet

I promise it's true. I've been without internet today at work for the last six hours. It forced me to look over my stack of lyrics that I've been neglecting lately. I worked on one for awhile and felt stuck so I moved through the stack and settled on one I've been working on for probably the last 5 months, maybe more I guess. I think I underestimate generally.

Anyway, it's call "Walk" and I've been struggling with it a lot. It's one of about 3 songs I've started lately that are meant to be worships songs, to maybe sing in church. I have two songs on "Without Your Breath" that have a Christian vibe to them, "Thy Will Be Done" being pretty obvious and "Without Your Breath" being a little less obvious. It was a struggle for me to even add those to the CD since I've had a difficult time embracing my spiritual side in my music. I sing every week in the choir and love it! But I felt that my rockstar music needed to be secular to be more accessible. As I said in my very first blog, it's hard for me to be honest. I was afraid that if I showed people my religious side, they wouldn't like me as an artist; that maybe I'd seem pushy. So it's been a long, slow road for me to show that side of me. I've made a commitment to. But it's still hard for me.

"Walk" was really important to me, since I was making a decision to intentionally write something for God. So I didn't want to mess it up. I'm still not sure I'm getting it right, which is very important to me. Who wants to mess up a gift they're giving to God, right? So I've struggled and struggled with it.

Today, with the internet out, I worked on it again and it came together. Is it amazing? I wouldn't say that. But I broke into the verse melody finally and cracked translating the Bible verses I wanted into real lines I could sing. It's got work to go but now it's been opened up. It's really close to done now.

I swear to you, God took down my work's internet, messed with everyone's work today, just so that I could get this song. Pretty cool, huh?

No comments: