Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ready, Set, Sing

This morning I'm working on my set list. I have a show coming up on Sunday that I'm pretty excited about. I usually try to write my set lists a couple of days ahead of time. Theoretically then I can practice the set in order and see what songs don't work well next to each other. It's a good theory.

Some people don't make set lists, they just play whatever they feel like when it comes up. That makes me nervous. I suddenly can't remember any of my songs. I stand there after playing two and think, gosh, I don't think I have any others. I say this even though I have 4 CDs of recorded songs and plenty more that I've never recorded. And yet I get this deer-in-headlights reaction in my brain.

So I make set lists. Of course, this does feed into my insane desire to make lists in general. I just have a good excuse to write this one. And, of course I go compulsive on it.

I begin by looking up all of my recent set lists and cutting and pasting them all to one page. Then I number out on a new list how many songs I might fit into the set. Then I start pasting songs into the new list.

Now the juggling begins. I usually find some way to code the list, either with symbols (* - #) or colors. Songs from the 'Without Your Breath' CD, songs from the 'Super Ordinary Girl' CD, older songs than those, brand new songs and covers. I start to shuffle to make sure that I'm not playing too many from any category in a row; usually I keep it at three at the most. After that version, I go back through the list and make sure that I don't have two songs that are in the same key together or two songs that start similarly or have similar structure or too many slow songs together. Similar ideas can always stay together. How could I possibly have a set list keeping the love songs separated. It couldn't happen.

It's probably a whole lot more work than it needs to be. I should just go with the flow. Most people probably don't care what order the songs come in. But I want it to be perfect. I guess that's pretty crazy.

And yes, I realize that I could use the same list over and over again. I do for long periods of time. But new songs are written and other songs come in and out of 'favorite' status all the time. Do you wear the same outfit every Monday just because it's Monday? No, you mix it up with your mood. :)

I'd write more about what must seem like an incredibly boring process but I have a set list to finish.

No comments: